Latest update on the 28th April earthquake from the Regional Meteorological Department that shock the state early morning.
- An earthquake of Magnitude M:6.4 occurred in Sonitpur, Assam.
- The epicentre is closer to the plate boundary and located at about 80 kms NE of Guwahati.
- The area is seismically very active falling in the highest Seismic Hazard zone V.
- It was is felt in entire North East region of India and some parts
of Bihar, West Bengal and Bangladesh.
- Damages to buildings reported within 100 km from epicentre in areas of Sonitpur, Nagaon, Guwahati.
- A total of 6-numbers of aftershocks of magnitude ranging from 3.2 to 4.7 in the Richter scale were located within 2 hours 30 minutes from the time of occurrence of main shock.
- The most prominent earthquake last felt in the region was on 29th July,1960 with magnitude 6.0.