In a massive fire around 200 shops were gutted in Chowk Bazar of Tezpur on Saturday midnight. According to reports the fire started because of a short circuit in a shop at the Chowk Bazar area. Because of the fire property worth crores of rupees was gutted in the fire causing huge losses to the traders.
Locals said that initially the fire was small but spread quickly into a massive fire. The fire brigade had reached the spot by midnight but managed to douse the fire only by 4 am in the morning.
The fire has created immense grief among the traders and shopkeepers as due to night curfew and Covid-19 business has already been down and the losses will only hurt them more economically.